Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?
Date: 2023-03-30 21:15:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I don't think that's remotely a starter. Asking people to install an old
> and possibly buggy version of a perl module is not something we should do.
>
> I think the barrier for this is pretty high. I try to keep module
> requirements for the buildfarm client pretty minimal, and this could affect
> a much larger group of people.

Those are good reasons.

For those who already responded, are your concerns limited to the
dependency issue? Would you have concerns about a templating library that
was developed by us and included in-tree? I'm not suggesting suggesting we
write one at this time, at least not until after we make a here-doc-ing
pass first, but I want to understand the concerns before embarking on any
refactoring.