Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?
Date: 2023-03-30 20:09:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-03-30 Th 15:06, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 30 Mar 2023, at 19:06, Corey Huinker<corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Some other digging around shows that the module has been around since 1996 (Perl5 was 1994) and hasn't had a feature update (or any update for that matter) since 2003. So it should meet our baseline 5.14 requirement, which came out in 2011.
> I assume you then mean tying this to 1.44 (or another version?), since AFAICT
> there has been both features and bugfixes well after 2003?
>
> https://metacpan.org/dist/Text-Template/changes

I don't think that's remotely a starter. Asking people to install an old
and possibly buggy version of a perl module is not something we should do.

I think the barrier for this is pretty high. I try to keep module
requirements for the buildfarm client pretty minimal, and this could
affect a much larger group of people.

cheers

andrew

--