Re: Add A Glossary

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Roger Harkavy <rogerharkavy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Add A Glossary
Date: 2020-03-30 17:10:19
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 5:29 AM Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de> wrote:

> >> I prefer the short term without the addition of 'process' - concerning
> >> 'Archiver' as well as the other cases. But I'm not an native English
> >> speaker.
> > I didn't like it due to lack of context.
> >
> > What about "wal archiver" ?
> >
> > It occured to me when I read this.
> >
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200327.163007.128069746774242774.horikyota.ntt%40gmail.com
> >
> "WAL archiver" is ok for me. In the current documentation we have 2
> places with "WAL archiver" and 4 with "archiver"-only
> (high-availability.sgml, monitoring.sgml).
>
> "backend process" is an exception to the other terms because the
> standalone term "backend" is sensibly used in diverse situations.
>
> Kind regards, Jürgen

I've taken Alvarao's fixes and done my best to incorporate the feedback
into a new patch, which Roger's (tech writer) reviewed yesterday.

The changes are too numerous to list, but the highlights are:

New definitions:
* All four ACID terms
* Vacuum (split off from Autovacuum)
* Tablespace
* WAL Archiver (replaces Archiver)

Changes to existing terms:
* Implemented most wording changes recommended by Justin
* all remaining links were either made into xrefs or edited out of existence

* de-tagged most second uses of of a term within a definition

Did not do
* Addressed the " Process" suffix suggested by Justin. There isn't
consensus on these changes, and I'm neutral on the matter
* change the Cast definition. I think it's important to express that a cast
has a FROM datatype as well as a TO
* anything host/server related as I couldn't see a consensus reached

Other thoughts:
* Trivial definitions that are just see-other-definition are ok with me, as
the goal of this glossary is to aid in discovery of term meanings, so
knowing that two terms are interchangable is itself helpful

It is my hope that this revision represents the final _structural_ change
to the glossary. New definitions and edits to existing definitions will, of
course, go on forever.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-glossary-v4.patch text/x-patch 52.8 KB