Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?
Date: 2023-03-30 17:06:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is there a barrier to us using non-core perl modules, in this case
Text::Template?

I think it would be a tremendous improvement in readability and
maintainability over our current series of print statements, some
multiline, some not.

The module itself works like this https://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=33296

Some other digging around shows that the module has been around since 1996
(Perl5 was 1994) and hasn't had a feature update (or any update for that
matter) since 2003. So it should meet our baseline 5.14 requirement, which
came out in 2011.

I'm happy to proceed with a proof-of-concept so that people can see the
costs/benefits, but wanted to first make sure it wasn't a total non-starter.