Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size
Date: 2023-02-23 18:39:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 5:47 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2023-02-22 16:34:44 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >
> > > Indeed. I thought we had one already.

> with
> >
> > > I'd put it in first and only reconsider if it shows unfixable problems.
> >
> > Now that we've got the sizeof(ExprEvalStep) under control, shouldn't
> > we do the attached?
>
> Indeed. Pushed.
>
> Let's hope there's no rarely used architecture with odd alignment rules.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andres Freund

I have a question about this that may affect some of my future work.

My not-ready-for-16 work on CAST( ... ON DEFAULT ... ) involved making
FuncExpr/IoCoerceExpr/ArrayCoerceExpr have a safe_mode flag, and that
necessitates adding a reserror boolean to ExprEvalStep for subsequent steps
to test if the error happened.

Will that change be throwing some architectures over the 64 byte count?