Re: Proposal to provide the facility to set binary format output for specific OID's per session

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Jack Christensen <jack(at)jackchristensen(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal to provide the facility to set binary format output for specific OID's per session
Date: 2022-07-25 09:57:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Cramer

On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 at 23:02, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> At Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:00:18 -0400, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote in
> > As a proof of concept I provide the attached patch which implements the
> > ability to specify which oids will be returned in binary format per
> > session.
> > Both the JDBC driver and the go driver can exploit this change with no
> > changes. I haven't confirmed if other drivers would work without changes.
>
> I'm not sure about the needs of that, but binary exchange format is
> not the one that can be turned on ignoring the peer's capability.

I'm not sure what this means. The client is specifying which types it wants
in binary format.

> If
> JDBC driver wants some types be sent in binary format, it seems to be
> able to be specified in bind message.

To be clear it's not just the JDBC client; the original idea came from the
author of go driver.
And yes you can specify it in the bind message but you have to specify it
in *every* bind message which pretty much negates any advantage you might
get out of binary format due to the extra round trip.

Regards,
Dave