Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro
Date: 2023-05-29 13:35:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 8:15 PM Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> >> I fixed the above issues and refactored the code.
> >> Attached is the updated version of the patch. Thought?
> >
> > Thank you! Looks good to me.
>
> Fix pushed. Thank you!

In my Mac environment where non-Exuberant ctags and emacs 28.2 are
installed, the generated etags file cannot be loaded by emacs due to
file format error. The generated TAGS file is:

% head -10 TAGS

) /
sizeof(BlockNumber)sizeof(BlockNumber)117,3750
my
@newa newa395,10443

variadic array[1,2]:array[1,2]56,1803

variadic array[]::inarray[]::i72,2331

variadic array[array64,2111

variadic array[array68,2222

variadic array[array76,2441
(2 * (2 53,1353
my $fn fn387,10147
startblock 101,4876

Since the etags files consist of multiple sections[1] we cannot sort
the generated etags file. With the attached patch, make_etags (with
non-Exuberant ctags) generates a correct format etags file and it
works:

% head -10 TAGS

/Users/masahiko/pgsql/source/postgresql/GNUmakefile,1187
subdir 7,56
top_builddir 8,65
docs:docs13,167
world-contrib-recurse:world-contrib-recurse19,273
world-bin-contrib-recurse:world-bin-contrib-recurse24,394
html man:html man26,444
install-docs:install-docs29,474
install-world-contrib-recurse:install-world-contrib-recurse35,604

BTW regarding the following comment, as far as I can read the
Wikipedia page for ctags[1], Exuberant ctags file doesn't have a
header section.

# Exuberant tags has a header that we cannot sort in with the other entries
# so we skip the sort step
# Why are we sorting this? I guess some tag implementation need this,
# particularly for append mode. bjm 2012-02-24
if [ ! "$IS_EXUBERANT" ]

Instead, the page says that sorting non-Exuberant tags file allows for
faster searching on of the tags file. I've fixed the comment
accordingly too.

Regards,

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctags#Etags_2

--
Masahiko Sawada

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_make_ctags.patch application/octet-stream 924 bytes