Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro
Date: 2023-06-12 02:10:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Sawada-san,

> In my Mac environment where non-Exuberant ctags and emacs 28.2 are
> installed, the generated etags file cannot be loaded by emacs due to
> file format error. The generated TAGS file is:
>
> % head -10 TAGS
>
> ) /
> sizeof(BlockNumber)sizeof(BlockNumber)117,3750
> my
> @newa newa395,10443
>
> variadic array[1,2]:array[1,2]56,1803
>
> variadic array[]::inarray[]::i72,2331
>
> variadic array[array64,2111
>
> variadic array[array68,2222
>
> variadic array[array76,2441
> (2 * (2 53,1353
> my $fn fn387,10147
> startblock 101,4876
>
> Since the etags files consist of multiple sections[1] we cannot sort
> the generated etags file. With the attached patch, make_etags (with
> non-Exuberant ctags) generates a correct format etags file and it
> works:
>
> % head -10 TAGS
>
> /Users/masahiko/pgsql/source/postgresql/GNUmakefile,1187
> subdir 7,56
> top_builddir 8,65
> docs:docs13,167
> world-contrib-recurse:world-contrib-recurse19,273
> world-bin-contrib-recurse:world-bin-contrib-recurse24,394
> html man:html man26,444
> install-docs:install-docs29,474
> install-world-contrib-recurse:install-world-contrib-recurse35,604
>
> BTW regarding the following comment, as far as I can read the
> Wikipedia page for ctags[1], Exuberant ctags file doesn't have a
> header section.
>
> # Exuberant tags has a header that we cannot sort in with the other entries
> # so we skip the sort step
> # Why are we sorting this? I guess some tag implementation need this,
> # particularly for append mode. bjm 2012-02-24
> if [ ! "$IS_EXUBERANT" ]
>
> Instead, the page says that sorting non-Exuberant tags file allows for
> faster searching on of the tags file. I've fixed the comment
> accordingly too.
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctags#Etags_2

Sorry for late reply and thanks for the patch!

I have confirmed the error with make_etags on my Mac (emacs 28.1 +
non-Exuberant ctags), and the error is fixed by your patch. Also I
have confirmed the patch does not affect make_etags on my Linux (emacs
26.3 + Exuberant ctags).

I will push the fix to REL_15_STABLE and master branch if there's no
objection.

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii