Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date: 2022-09-16 06:00:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 10:39 PM John Naylor
<john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 12:39 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 10:43 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > I've updated the patch. It now implements 64-bit keys, 64-bit values,
> > > and the multi-value leaves method. I've tried to remove duplicated
> > > codes but we might find a better way to do that.
> > >

> > With the recent changes related to simd, I'm going to split the patch
> > into at least two parts: introduce other simd optimized functions used
> > by the radix tree and the radix tree implementation. Particularly we
> > need two functions for radix tree: a function like pg_lfind32 but for
> > 8 bits integers and return the index, and a function that returns the
> > index of the first element that is >= key.
>
> I recommend looking at
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFBsxsESLUyJ5spfOSyPrOvKUEYYNqsBosue9SV1j8ecgNXSKA%40mail.gmail.com
>
> since I did the work just now for searching bytes and returning a
> bool, buth = and <=. Should be pretty close. Also, i believe if you
> left this for last as a possible refactoring, it might save some work.
> In any case, I'll take a look at the latest patch next month.

I've updated the radix tree patch. It's now separated into two patches.

0001 patch introduces pg_lsearch8() and pg_lsearch8_ge() (we may find
better names) that are similar to the pg_lfind8() family but they
return the index of the key in the vector instead of true/false. The
patch includes regression tests.

0002 patch is the main radix tree implementation. I've removed some
duplicated codes of node manipulation. For instance, since node-4,
node-16, and node-32 have a similar structure with different fanouts,
I introduced the common function for them.

In addition to two patches, I've attached the third patch. It's not
part of radix tree implementation but introduces a contrib module
bench_radix_tree, a tool for radix tree performance benchmarking. It
measures loading and lookup performance of both the radix tree and a
flat array.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Support-pg_lsearch8_eq-and-pg_lsearch8_ge.patch application/x-patch 12.9 KB
v6-0002-Add-radix-implementation.patch application/x-patch 75.4 KB
v6-0003-tool-for-measuring-radix-tree-performance.patch application/x-patch 11.9 KB