Re: Logical WAL sender unresponsive during decoding commit

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical WAL sender unresponsive during decoding commit
Date: 2022-08-16 05:25:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 2:08 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 9:28 AM Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru> wrote:
> >
> > Hi hackers!
> >
> > Some time ago I've seen a hanging logical replication that was trying to send transaction commit after doing table pg_repack.
> > I understand that those things do not mix well. Yet walsender was ignoring pg_terminate_backend() and I think this worth fixing.
> > Can we add CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS(); somewhere in this backtrace?
> >

> I think if we want to do this in this code path then it may be it is
> better to add it in ReorderBufferProcessTXN where we are looping to
> process each change.

+1

The same issue is recently reported[1] on -bugs and I proposed the
patch that adds CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() to the loop in
ReorderBufferProcessTXN(). I think it should be backpatched.

Regards,

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAD21AoD%2BaNfLje%2B9JOqWbTiq1GL4BOp9_f7FxLADm8rS8cDhCQ%40mail.gmail.com

--
Masahiko Sawada