Cannot recover from backup on barman

From: Alfredo Palhares <alfredo(at)palhares(dot)me>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cannot recover from backup on barman
Date: 2017-01-02 15:20:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everyone,

I need to recover some partial data from a old backup.

The recover went smoothly up until the time to start the server, I cannot
start the server.

LOG: invalid primary checkpoint record
LOG: invalid secondary checkpoint record
PANIC: could not locate a valid checkpoint record
LOG: startup process (PID 30975) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted

Well after some research, I was suggested to use the pg_resetxlog tool from
postgres-xc, but people also advise against it.

Can anyone show me how to properly identify the problem with my backup? I
am also worried that my backups are not being properly made.

Regards,
Alfredo Palhares