Re: Development of an extension for PostgreSQL and PostGIS

From: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>
To: Fabiana Zioti <fabi_zioti(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Development of an extension for PostgreSQL and PostGIS
Date: 2017-08-14 18:36:03
Lists: pgsql-general

In order to get an LWGEOM from PostGIS you'll need to convert from the
serialized form (GSERIALIZED) which you can read all about in the
liblwgeom.h header. You'll be adding a hard dependency of course, but
hopefully you're OK with that.

If you're just hoping to build a compound type, as your example shows, you
can do that without a C extension, just read up on CREATE TYPE.

For an alternate example of an extension with a lighter dependency on
PostGIS, check out pgpointcloud, which has it's own structure for spatial
data (a point patch) and exchanges data with PostGIS via well-known-binary.
This removes the liblwgeom dependency, which means it's possible to compile
and use pgpointcloud without PostGIS installed, which is not entirely
uncommon.