pgbench: can we add a way to specify the schema to write to?

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgbench: can we add a way to specify the schema to write to?
Date: 2023-05-16 01:35:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Currently, I believe that we are frowning on writing things directly to
Public by default.

Also, we had already taken that step in our systems. Furthermore we force
Public to be the first Schema, so this restriction enforces that everything
created must be assigned to the appropriate schema.

That could make us a bit more sensitive to how pgbench operates. But this
becomes an opportunity to sharpen a tool.

But logging in to our regular users it has no ability to create it's tables
and do it's work. At the same time, we want exactly this login, because we
want to benchmark things in our application.

Our lives would be simplified if there was a simple way to specify a schema
for pgbench to use. It would always reference that schema, and it would
not be in the path. Making it operate "just like our apps" while benching
marking our items.

While we are here, SHOULD we consider having pgbench have a default schema
name it creates and then cleans up? And then if someone wants to override
that, they can?

Kirk...