Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Nathaniel Sabanski <sabanski(dot)n(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE
Date: 2023-05-16 01:26:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 8:37 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Greetings,
> Yes, it's a large effort, no doubt.

Stephen, I started looking at the code.
And I have the queries from \set SHOW_HIDDEN
that psql uses. And also the pg_dump output.

My first table was an ID bigint NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY GENERATED ALWAYS AS
IDENTITY

pg_dump puts the decorations on the SEQUENCE
\dt puts that text as the "Default" value

But the STRANGE part for me is the query I Assembled from the FDW returns
nothing for extra attributes.
And only seems to care about the "GENERATED AS (%s) STORED" syntax.

For me, generating the INLINE syntax will produce the SEQUENCE
automatically, so this is my preference.
Let me know if I am missing anything... Please.

Finally, I cannot GRASP this additional syntax:
appendStringInfo(&buf, "\n) SERVER %s\nOPTIONS (",

This is at the end of the create table syntax:
CREATE TABLE %s ( ... ) SERVER %s\n OPTIONS (" ...");

Is this special "FDW" Decorations because I don't see those on the create
table documentation?
It's easy enough to ignore, but I don't want to miss something.

Kirk...