GiST "choose subtree" support function to inline penalty

From: Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski <me(at)komzpa(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: GiST "choose subtree" support function to inline penalty
Date: 2019-06-24 10:08:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'm looking at PostGIS geometry GiST index build times and try to optimize
withing the current GiST framework. The function that shows a lot on my
flame graphs is penalty.

I spent weekend rewriting PostGIS penalty to be as fast as possible.
(FYI https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/425/files)

However I cannot get any meaningfully faster build time. Even when I strip
it to "just return edge extension" index build time is the same.

Is there a way to inline the penalty into above "choose subtree" loop
somehow? That would also let us stop bit-fiddling floats to simulate a more
complex choosing scheme.

--
Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa