Re: almost-super-user problems that we haven't fixed yet

From: tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: almost-super-user problems that we haven't fixed yet
Date: 2023-01-19 14:21:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 6:50 PM tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> and in the error message too
>
> [edb(at)centos7tushar bin]$ ./psql postgres -U r2
>
> psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed:
> FATAL: remaining connection slots are reserved for roles with privileges
> of pg_use_reserved_backends
> [edb(at)centos7tushar bin]$

I think there is also a need to improve the error message if non
super users are not able to connect due to slot unavailability.
--Connect to psql terminal, create a user
create user t1;

--set these GUC parameters in postgresql.conf and restart the server

max_connections = 3 # (change requires restart)

superuser_reserved_connections = 1 # (change requires restart)

reserved_connections = 1

psql terminal ( connect to superuser), ./psql postgres
psql terminal (try to connect to user t1) , ./psql postgres -U t1
Error message is

psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed:
FATAL: remaining connection slots are reserved for roles with privileges
of pg_use_reserved_backends

that is not true because the superuser can still able to connect,

probably in this case message should be like this -

"remaining connection slots are reserved for roles with privileges of
pg_use_reserved_connections and for superusers" or something better.

regards,