Re: Clean up some old cruft related to Windows

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clean up some old cruft related to Windows
Date: 2019-12-19 19:09:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 5:47 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> At Thu, 19 Dec 2019 11:15:26 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
> wrote in
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As discussed here, there is in the tree a couple of things related to
> > past versions of Windows:
> >
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201912180219SUSv254.GE1836@paquier.xyz
> >
> > So I have been looking at that more closely, and found more:
> > - MIN_WINNT can be removed from win32.h thanks to d9dd406 which has
> > added a requirement on C99 with Windows 7 as minimum platform
> > supported. (The issue mentioned previously.)
> > - pipe_read_line(), used when finding another binary for a given
> > installation via find_other_exec() has some special handling related
> > to Windows 2000 and older versions.
> > - When trying to load getaddrinfo(), we try to load it from
> > wship6.ddl, which was something needed in Windows 2000, but newer
> > Windows versions include it in ws2_32.dll.
> > - A portion of the docs still refer to Windows 98.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I think MIN_WINNT is definitely emovable.

This is probably not an issue for the supported MSVC and their SDK, but
current MinGW defaults to Windows 2003 [1]. So I would suggest a logic like:

#define WINNTVER(ver) ((ver) >> 16)
#define NTDDI_VERSION 0x06000100
#define _WIN32_WINNT WINNTVER(NTDDI_VERSION)

[1]
https://github.com/mirror/mingw-w64/blob/master/mingw-w64-headers/include/sdkddkver.h

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha