Re: Clean up some old cruft related to Windows

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clean up some old cruft related to Windows
Date: 2019-12-19 04:46:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 19 Dec 2019 11:15:26 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> Hi all,
>
> As discussed here, there is in the tree a couple of things related to
> past versions of Windows:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201912180219SUSv254.GE1836@paquier.xyz
>
> So I have been looking at that more closely, and found more:
> - MIN_WINNT can be removed from win32.h thanks to d9dd406 which has
> added a requirement on C99 with Windows 7 as minimum platform
> supported. (The issue mentioned previously.)
> - pipe_read_line(), used when finding another binary for a given
> installation via find_other_exec() has some special handling related
> to Windows 2000 and older versions.
> - When trying to load getaddrinfo(), we try to load it from
> wship6.ddl, which was something needed in Windows 2000, but newer
> Windows versions include it in ws2_32.dll.
> - A portion of the docs still refer to Windows 98.
>
> Thoughts?

I think MIN_WINNT is definitely emovable.

popen already has the plantform-dependent implement so I think it can
be removed irrelevantly for the C99 discussion.

I found some similar places by grep'ing for windows version names the
whole source tree.

- The comment for trapsig is mentioning win98/Me/NT/2000/XP.

- We don't need the (only) caller site of IsWindows7OrGreater()?

- The comment for AddUserToTokenDacl() is mentioning "XP/2K3,
Vista/2008".

- InitializeLDAPConnection dynamically loads WLDAP32.DLL for Windows
2000. It could either be statically loaded or could be left as it
is, but the comment seems to need a change in either case.

- The comment for IsoLocaleName mentioning Vista and Visual Studio
2012.

- install-windows.sgml is mentioning "XP and later" around line 117.

- installation.sgml is mentioning NT/2000/XP as platforms that don't
support adduser/su, command.

- "of Windows 2000 or later" is found at installation.sgml:2467

regards.

--