Re: pg_receivewal.exe unhandled exception in zlib1.dll

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_receivewal.exe unhandled exception in zlib1.dll
Date: 2022-02-22 09:20:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Please excuse my late reply.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 12:20 PM Juan José Santamaría Flecha <
juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 5:25 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>

>> FWIW, I've looked at using either vcpkg or conan to more easily
>> install /
>>
> build dependencies on windows, in the right debug / release mode.
>>
>> The former was easier, but unfortunately the zlib, lz4, ... packages don't
>> include the gzip, lz4 etc binaries right now. That might be easy enough
>> to fix
>> with an option. It does require building the dependencies locally.
>>
>> Conan seemed to be a nicer architecture, but there's no builtin way to
>> update
>> to newer dependency versions, and non-versioned dependencies don't
>> actually
>> work. It has pre-built dependencies for the common cases.
>>
>> I will have to do some testing with Conan and see how both compare.

I have found a couple of additional issues when trying to build using
Conan, all libraries are static and there aren't any prebuilt packages for
MSVC 2022 yet. Also for some specific packages:

- zstd doesn't include the binaries either.
- gettext packages only provides binaries, no libraries, nor headers.
- openssl builds the binaries, but is missing some objects in the
libraries (error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol).
- libxml builds the binaries, but is missing some objects in the
libraries (error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol).

,Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha