Re: pg_receivewal.exe unhandled exception in zlib1.dll

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_receivewal.exe unhandled exception in zlib1.dll
Date: 2022-02-16 11:20:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 5:25 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> > If this is something we want to discard altogether, we can check at build
> > time with 'dumpbin' to ensure that all dlls share the same vcruntime.dll.
>
> I think these days it's mostly a question of ucrtbase.dll vs ucrtbased.dll,
> right?
>
> Either one would do the trick, just to tell apart 'debug' from 'release'.

> FWIW, I've looked at using either vcpkg or conan to more easily install
> /
> build dependencies on windows, in the right debug / release mode.
>
> The former was easier, but unfortunately the zlib, lz4, ... packages don't
> include the gzip, lz4 etc binaries right now. That might be easy enough to
> fix
> with an option. It does require building the dependencies locally.
>
> Conan seemed to be a nicer architecture, but there's no builtin way to
> update
> to newer dependency versions, and non-versioned dependencies don't actually
> work. It has pre-built dependencies for the common cases.
>
> I find that the repositories that are being currently proposed as a source
for the Windows depencies [1], will lead to outdated or stale packages in
many cases.

I have been testing vcpkg, and my only grievances have been that some
packages were terribly slow to install and a couple were missing: Kerberos
(but its own project seems to be active [2]) and ossp-uuid (which is to be
expected).

I will have to do some testing with Conan and see how both compare.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/install-windows-full.html
[2] https://web.mit.edu/Kerberos/

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha