Re: Returning to Postgres community work

From: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Paul Copplestone <copple(at)supabase(dot)io>, Ant Wilson <ant(at)supabase(dot)io>, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Returning to Postgres community work
Date: 2021-08-31 17:02:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 8:04 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> On 2021-Aug-30, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>
> > I'm very happy to announce that I now work for Supabase [1]. They
> > have hired me so that I can participate in, and contribute to the
> > Postgres community.
>
> Hey Gurjeet, welcome back. Glad to hear you've found a good spot.

Thank you!

> You know what I've heard? That your index advisor module languishes
> unmaintained and that there's no shortage of people wishing to use it.

Now there's a masterclass in making someone feel great and guilty in
the same sentence ;-)

> Heck, we spent a lot of back-and-forth in the spanish mailing list
> with somebody building a super obsolete version of Postgres just so that
> they could compile your index advisor. I dunno, if you have some spare
> time, maybe updating that one would be a valuable contribution from
> users' perspective.

Aye-aye Capn' :-)

EDB folks reached out to me a few months ago to assign a license to
the project, which I did and it is now a Postgres-licensed project
[1].

Given the above, it is safe to assume that this tool is at least being
maintained by EDB, at least internally for their customers. I would
request them to contribute the changes back in the open.

Regardless of that, please rest assured that I will work on making it
compatible with the current supported versions of Postgres. Lack of
time is not an excuse anymore :-)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

[1]: https://github.com/gurjeet/pg_adviser/blob/master/LICENSE

Best regards,
--
Gurjeet Singh http://gurjeet.singh.im/