Re: Better help output for pgbench -I init_steps

From: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>, Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Better help output for pgbench -I init_steps
Date: 2023-07-12 17:47:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 3:08 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:

> On 12.07.23 09:42, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> > These two variants show the two extremes; bare minimum vs. everything
> > but the kitchen sink. So one may feel the need to find a middle ground
> > and provide a "sufficient, but not too much" variant. I have attempted
> > that in variants 3 and 4; also attached.
>
> If you end up with variant 3 or 4, please use double quotes instead of
> single quotes.

Will do.

I believe you're suggesting this because in the neighboring help text
the string literals use double quotes. I see that other utilities,
such as psql also use double quotes in help text.

If there's a convention, documented somewhere in our sources, I'd love
to know and learn other conventions.

Best regards,
Gurjeet
http://Gurje.et