Re: Vacuuming the operating system documentation

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuuming the operating system documentation
Date: 2020-06-06 14:57:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 4:41 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > On 2020-06-06 06:57, Thomas Munro wrote:
> >> We're carrying a bunch of obsolete and in one case insecure advice on
> >> kernel settings. Here's an attempt to clean some of that up.
>
> > These changes seem sensible to me.
>
> +1

+1 as well.

>> HP-UX:
> >> * Drop advice for v10. 11.x came out 23 years ago.
>
> > We still have a version 10 in the build farm. :)
>
> Yeah, but I don't need advice on installing PG on that ;-). In general,
> I think the filter rule could be: is it likely that someone would try to
> install PG 13-or-later from scratch (with no pre-existing installation)
> on this OS version? If there is a pre-existing install, they'll already
> have dealt with any kernel configuration issues.
>
> So I concur with dropping all this stuff, and while we're at it I'd vote
> for getting rid of the oom_adj para. RHEL6 will be fully EOL around the
> time PG13 comes out, so I don't believe anyone's making brand new installs
> there either.

Let's hope PG13 isn't that late -- the end of Extended Lifecycle Support is
June 30, 2024 for RHEL 6. (It *enters* ELS around the time of pg 13).

And yes, given that, you'd be surprised how many people make brand new
installs on that. That said, they *shoudln't*, so I'm fine with dropping
the instructions for those as well. With luck it might encourage some
people to realize it's a bad idea...

//Magnus