Re: Vacuuming the operating system documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuuming the operating system documentation
Date: 2020-06-06 14:41:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 2020-06-06 06:57, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> We're carrying a bunch of obsolete and in one case insecure advice on
>> kernel settings. Here's an attempt to clean some of that up.

> These changes seem sensible to me.

+1

>> HP-UX:
>> * Drop advice for v10. 11.x came out 23 years ago.

> We still have a version 10 in the build farm. :)

Yeah, but I don't need advice on installing PG on that ;-). In general,
I think the filter rule could be: is it likely that someone would try to
install PG 13-or-later from scratch (with no pre-existing installation)
on this OS version? If there is a pre-existing install, they'll already
have dealt with any kernel configuration issues.

So I concur with dropping all this stuff, and while we're at it I'd vote
for getting rid of the oom_adj para. RHEL6 will be fully EOL around the
time PG13 comes out, so I don't believe anyone's making brand new installs
there either.