Re: pg_verify_checksums vs windows

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_verify_checksums vs windows
Date: 2018-08-29 11:35:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> While trying to debug a recent bug report on hash indexes [1], I
> noticed that pg_verify_checksums don't work on Windows (or at least in
> my environment).
>
> initdb -k ..\..\data
> pg_verify_checksums.exe ..\..\Data
> pg_verify_checksums: short read of block 0 in file
> "..\..\Data/global/1136", got only 15 bytes
>
> I have debugged and found that below code is the culprit.
>
> scan_file(char *fn, int segmentno)
> {
> ..
> f = open(fn, 0);
> ..
> int r = read(f, buf, BLCKSZ);
>
> if (r == 0)
> break;
>
> if (r != BLCKSZ)
> {
> fprintf(stderr, _("%s: short read of block %d in file \"%s\", got only
> %d bytes\n"),
> progname, blockno, fn, r);
> exit(1);
> }
> ..
> }
>
> We are opening the file in text mode and trying to read the BLCKSZ
> bytes, however, if there is any Control-Z char, it is treated as EOF.
> This problem has been mentioned in the comments in c.h as follows:
> /*
> * NOTE: this is also used for opening text files.
> * WIN32 treats Control-Z as EOF in files opened in text mode.
> * Therefore, we open files in binary mode on Win32 so we can read
> * literal control-Z. The other affect is that we see CRLF, but
> * that is OK because we can already handle those cleanly.
> */
>
> So, I think we need to open the file in binary mode as in other parts
> of the code. The attached patch fixes the problem for me.
>
> Thoughts?

Yikes. Yes, I believe you are correct, and that looks like the correct fix.

I wonder why this was not caught on the buildfarm. We do have regression
tests for it, AFAIK? Or maybe we just lucked out there because there was no
^Z char in the files there?

--
Magnus Hagander