Re: pg_verify_checksums -d option (was: Re: pg_verify_checksums -r option)

From: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_verify_checksums -d option (was: Re: pg_verify_checksums -r option)
Date: 2018-08-29 11:33:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 10:28:33 +0200
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> > On 27 Aug 2018, at 14:05, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 13:34:12 +0200
> > Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> Maybe the -d (debug) option should be revisited as well. Mentioning
> >> every scanned block generates a huge amount of output which might be
> >> useful during development but does not seem very useful for a stable
> >> release. AFAICT there is no other debug output for now.
> >>
> >> So it could be renamed to -v (verbose) and only mention each scanned
> >> file, e.g. (errors/checksum mismatches are still reported of course).
> >>
> >> Then -d could (in the future, I guess that is too late for v11) be used
> >> for -d/--dbname (or make that only a long option, if the above does not
> >> work).
> >
> > I realized after sending the previous post that we can not specify a database
> > by name because pg_verify_checksum is run in offline and this can not get the
> > OID from the database name. Also, there are global and pg_tblspc directories
> > not only base/<database OID>. So, it seems to me good to specify a directories
> > to scan which is under PGDATA. We would be able to use -d ( or --directory ?)
> > for this purpose.
>
> Changing functionality to the above discussed is obviously 12 material, but
> since we are discussing changing the command line API of the tool by
> repurposing -d; do we want to rename the current use of -d to -v (with the
> accompanying ―-verbose) before 11 ships? It’s clearly way way too late in the
> cycle but it seems worth to at least bring up since 11 will be the first
> version pg_verify_checksums ship in. I’m happy to do the work asap if so.

I agree with this. Almost other commands doesn't use -d as debug mode
although there a few exception, and instead -v is used for verbose mode.
If we can change the command line of pg_veriry_checksums, before release of
PG 11 is best. Attached is the patch to do this.

Regards,
--
Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>

Attachment Content-Type Size
01_pg_veriify_checksum_debug_to_verbose.patch text/x-diff 2.1 KB