Re: Replication/backup defaults

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Replication/backup defaults
Date: 2017-01-09 12:44:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 1/7/17 6:23 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > In the build farm, I have found 6 critters that do not end up with
> the
> > 100/128MB setting: sidewinder, curculio, coypu, brolga, lorikeet,
> > opossum. I wonder what limitations initdb is bumping against.
> >

> > Since you lookeda t the data -- they did not end up with 100, but what's
> > the lowest they did end up with? Did they go all the way down to 10?
>
> They all ended up on 30 or 40.
>
> The only documented way this could happen is if the semaphore
> configuration does not allow enough room, but this would have to be a
> very particular setting on all these quite different boxes.

So based on that, I suggest we go ahead and make the change to make both
the values 10 by default. And that we do that now, because that lets us get
it out through more testing on different platforms, so that we catch issues
earlier on if they do arise.

It would be interesting to find out why it's limited as well, of course,
but I don't think we need to wait for that.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/