Re: Replication/backup defaults

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication/backup defaults
Date: 2017-01-09 12:43:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 2:19 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:

> On 1/5/17 2:50 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> Ultimately, the question is whether the number of people running into
>> "Hey, I can't take pg_basebackup or setup a standby with the default
>> config!" is higher or lower than number of people running into "Hey,
>> CREATE TABLE + COPY is slower now!"
>>

> I'm betting it's way higher. Loads of folks use Postgres and never do any
> kind of ETL.

I'm willing to say "the majority".

> That is not to say there are no other cases benefiting from those
>> optimizations, but we're talking about the default value - we're not
>> removing the wal_level=minimal.
>>

> This would be a non-issue if we provided example configs for a few
> different workloads. Obviously those would never be optimal either, but
> they *would* show users what settings they should immediately look at
> changing in their environment.

It might also be worthwhile to provide a section in the docs just saying
"these are the parameters you probably want to look at for workload <x>"
rather than an actual example configuration. Including a short sentence or
two about why.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/