Re: Google signin

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Google signin
Date: 2017-08-10 15:18:12
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:

>>> login
>>>
>>> In that case I think it's actively a bad idea. If people would still
>>> have to create another password there's no point and it would
>>> contribute to people not wanting to use common auth schemes like this.
>>>

>> They would not have to make another password. It would be possible to
>> create a community account without a password (which would then only be
>> reachable through an oauth login from a supported provider).
>>

>>> If you just have to make a username that's not as bad (though not ideal).
>>>

>> That would be the idea.
>>

> So to show it in more detail, here is an example of the workflow of my
> prototype: https://www.hagander.net/tmp/flow.ogv
>
> (note for those reading in the archives -- link will go dead in a couple
> of days)

So here is the code the way it currently looks.

Comments on the workflow and/or the code?

Is this something we *want*? I definitely think so, as it will simplify
things for a lot of casual users. In particular users who are on some of
our third party systems, such as conference attendees or the new
mailinglist system.

--
Magnus Hagander

Attachment Content-Type Size