Re: "Bugs" CF?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Bugs" CF?
Date: 2015-05-12 14:10:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Magnus,
>
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> > We could also use the category that we have now, or even create the
> concept
> > of a tag (where you can assign multiple ones). And then have a view that
> > brings together a view of everything with a specific tag/category,
> > *regardless* of which CF it's on.
>
> I like the tag idea.

Are there other things you would consider tags for as well? As in should we
if we do this look at a generic tag system, or just a "tag this is a
bugfix"?

> So the patch itself would live in whatever CF it was put in (or punted
> to),
> > but you can get a global view. Which with a filter would make it easy to
> > see "everything flagged as a bugfix that has not been committed". Which I
> > think is the main thing we're looking for here, is it not?
>
> The biggest issue that I see with this is, again, trying to make sure
> people know that they *should* put bug patches into the CF and make it
> clear *which* CF to put them into.
>
> I don't know that we've even got an answer for the second question
> currently, do we? My thought is "whatever one people are looking at
> now" but I'm guessing others feel differently.

I would say it should go into whatever CF is currently "Open". Don't treat
thems eparately from a submission POV, other than adding the tag. Only from
a "consumption" POV, through the special view.

> > > Another thought which occured to me, just to throw it out there, was
> the
> > > idea of a "Next point release" kind of CF, which is perhaps renamed
> when
> > > to whatever the point release actually is and anything which didn't
> make
> > > it is bumped to a new CF entry, or something along those lines.
> >
> > That doesn't sound like a CF to me. Again, it might be a tag or a
> category
> > or something, but the main thing with the CF term is that it's the
> > fixed-period cycle of development. We shouldn't start abusing that too
> > much...
>
> A tag for this would be great..

How is that different from a bugfix, though?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/