Re: "Bugs" CF?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Bugs" CF?
Date: 2015-05-12 13:21:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> We could also use the category that we have now, or even create the concept
> of a tag (where you can assign multiple ones). And then have a view that
> brings together a view of everything with a specific tag/category,
> *regardless* of which CF it's on.

I like the tag idea.

> So the patch itself would live in whatever CF it was put in (or punted to),
> but you can get a global view. Which with a filter would make it easy to
> see "everything flagged as a bugfix that has not been committed". Which I
> think is the main thing we're looking for here, is it not?

The biggest issue that I see with this is, again, trying to make sure
people know that they *should* put bug patches into the CF and make it
clear *which* CF to put them into.

I don't know that we've even got an answer for the second question
currently, do we? My thought is "whatever one people are looking at
now" but I'm guessing others feel differently.

> > Another thought which occured to me, just to throw it out there, was the
> > idea of a "Next point release" kind of CF, which is perhaps renamed when
> > to whatever the point release actually is and anything which didn't make
> > it is bumped to a new CF entry, or something along those lines.
>
> That doesn't sound like a CF to me. Again, it might be a tag or a category
> or something, but the main thing with the CF term is that it's the
> fixed-period cycle of development. We shouldn't start abusing that too
> much...

A tag for this would be great..

Thanks!

Stephen