Re: Installation on Cygwin

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation on Cygwin
Date: 2020-09-08 13:44:53
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 5:52 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 09:40:59PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > I happened to stumble over the Cygwin section of the installation docs,
> and was
> > surprised to see references to not entirely bleeding-edge Windows
> versions:
> >
> > "The adduser command is not supported; use the appropriate user
> management
> > application on Windows NT, 2000, or XP. Otherwise, skip this step."
> >
> > Not knowing the first thing about Cygwin I might be out cycling here; it
> does
> > sound like it's about due for an update to reflect current versions of
> Windows,
> > or is this just relevant for older versions? Skimming backwards we
> have, with
> > various wordings, recommendeed against Cygwin since 8.0, the current
> wording
> > going back to 8.4 more or less unchanged.

It's cute that it also talks about doing things on "Windows NT".... Any
"non-NT" Windows has not existed for *many* years.

> I am thinking the list of operating systems should just be removed.

Are you referring to the whole section 16.7 in the 12 version (
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/installation-platform-notes.html)?

I can agree with that, and say that maybe that type of content is better
maintained on the wiki?

--
Magnus Hagander