Re: Automatic cleanup of oldest WAL segments with pg_receivexlog

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Automatic cleanup of oldest WAL segments with pg_receivexlog
Date: 2017-02-27 14:50:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 12:24 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 12:41 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > On Feb 25, 2017 15:00, "Michael Paquier" <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> > wrote:
> >> Oh, I definitely think such a command should be able to take a
> placeholder
> >> like %f telling which segment it has just processed. In fact, I'd
> consider
> >> it one of the most important features of it :)
> >
> > I cannot think about any other meaningful variables, do you?
> >

> > Not offhand. But one thing that could go to the question of parameter
> name -
> > what if we finish something that's not a segment. During a time line
> switch
> > for example, we also get other files don't we? We probably want to
> trigger
> > at least some command in that case - either with an argument or by a
> > different parameter?
>
> To be consistent with archive_command and restore_command I'd rather
> not do that. The command called can decide by itself what to do by
> looking at the shape of the argument string.

Not do which one -- trigger the command at all? archive_command triggers on
non-segment files does it not?

If we want to trigger it with other files as well, then it shouldn't be
called --end-segment-command, should it?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/