Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source
Date: 2014-07-16 08:41:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> From: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
>>
>>> Well, it does in a couple of places. I'm nto sure it's that important
>>> (as nobody has AFAIK ever requested that change from for example EDB),
>>> but it's not a bad thing.
>
> I think this is nothing specific to any vendor rather it's good to have
> a define when it is used at multiple places.

Sure, I don't object to the change itself, but the motivation was strange.

There's also the change to throw an error if the source is already
registered, which is potentially a bigger problem. Since the default
will be the same everywhere, do we really want to throw an error when
you install a second version, now that this is the normal state?

There's also definitely a problem in that that codepath fires up a
MessageBox, but it's just a function called in a DLL. It might just as
well be called from a background service or from within an installer
with no visible desktop, at which point the process will appear to be
hung... I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/