Re: once more: documentation search indexing

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Christofides <michael(at)pgmustard(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: once more: documentation search indexing
Date: 2022-04-18 17:46:12
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 5:02 PM Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 6:21 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
> >
> > > On 14 Apr 2022, at 18:23, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:

> need a

> > > I see.
> > >
> > > Do you think that doing so for out of support releases would improve
> > > our search results? Do you see any potential downsides?
> >
> > I don't really have a good answer, googlebot et.al acts in mysterious
> ways. It
> > shouldn't affect searching for up to date information since we identify
> > /current as the canonical version of pages in backbranches (supported or
> not).
> > But if an 8.4 page is indexed and linked to from a gazillion stack
> overflow
> > posts, then who knows how that shifts the results.
> >
> > Given how it works right now, and what we know, I would err on the side
> of
> > caution and keep them indexed - but that's a highly unscientifically
> based
> > opinion.
> >

> The immediate use case that comes to mind is folks searching for
> documentation in older versions that no longer exists in the /current/
> documentation, which is perhaps a small use case but also a fairly
> valid one. I reckon there are others if we think about it, so +1 on
> leaving the old version indexed for now.

Yeah, losing that ability completely would definitely be a negative. We've
already lost (I think) the ability to search for those words if they are on
the same page as a new version which doesn't have it, losing the ability to
search it off pages that don't even exist anymore seems even worse.

What would be the actual *advantage* of excluding them?

//Magnus