Re: once more: documentation search indexing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Christofides <michael(at)pgmustard(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: once more: documentation search indexing
Date: 2022-04-18 18:04:11
Lists: pgsql-www

> What would be the actual *advantage* of excluding them?

The immediate problem is that Google is still preferentially returning old
pages in some cases, e.g. top hit for "postgres gist gin index" is still

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/textsearch-indexes.html

Now maybe that just means they've not completely reindexed since we made
the canonical-version change, so I'm content to wait awhile longer
before concluding that that change wasn't sufficient. But we should be
considering the possibility that it wasn't.