Re: WAL log only necessary part of 2PC GID

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL log only necessary part of 2PC GID
Date: 2016-03-10 12:43:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder why you define the gidlen as uint32 when it would fit into uint8
> which in the current TwoPhaseFileHeader struct should be win of 8 bytes on
> padding (on 64bit). I think that's something worth considering given that
> this patch aims to lower the size of the data.

Hi Petr,

That sounds like a good idea; I didn't think about that. I would like to
make it uint16 though just in case if we decide to increase GIDSIZE from
200 to something more than 256 (Postgres-XL does that already). That still
fits in the same aligned width, on both 32 as well as 64-bit machines. New
version attached.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
reduce_gid_wal_v3.patch application/octet-stream 2.7 KB