Re: Index corruption with CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index corruption with CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2017-02-06 02:31:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > 2. In the second patch, we tried to recompute attribute lists if a
> relcache
> > flush happens in between and index list is invalidated. We've seen
> problems
> > with that, especially it getting into an infinite loop with
> > CACHE_CLOBBER_ALWAYS. Not clear why it happens, but apparently relcache
> > flushes keep happening.
>
> Well, yeah: the point of CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS is to make a relcache flush
> happen whenever it possibly could.

Ah, ok. That explains why the retry logic as originally proposed was
causing infinite loop.

> The way to deal with that without
> looping is to test whether the index set *actually* changed, not whether
> it just might have changed.

I like this approach. I'll run the patch on a build with
CACHE_CLOBBER_ALWAYS, but I'm pretty sure it will be ok. I also like the
fact that retry logic is now limited to only when index set changes, which
fits in the situation we're dealing with.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/