Re: docs: mention "pg_read_all_stats" in "track_activities" description

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: docs: mention "pg_read_all_stats" in "track_activities" description
Date: 2022-06-07 13:08:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

Apologies for the delayed response, was caught up in a minor life diversion
over the past couple of weeks.

2022年5月21日(土) 12:29 Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>:

> On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 04:08:37PM -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> > LGTM
>
> Indeed, it is a good idea to add this information. Will apply and
> backpatch accordingly.

Thanks!

2022年5月30日(月) 11:34 Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>:

> On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 06:10:31AM -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> > Sorry, I missed this one earlier. I'm okay with something along those
> > lines. I'm still trying to think of ways to make the last part a little
> > clearer, but I don't have any ideas beyond what we've discussed upthread.
>
> Okay. I have used the wording of upthread then. Thanks!

A little late to the party, but as an alternative suggestion for the last
part:

"... and users who either own the session being reported on, or who have
privileges of the role to which the session belongs,"

so the whole sentence would read:

Note that even when enabled, this information is only visible to superusers,
roles with privileges of the pg_read_all_stats role, and users who either own
the session being reported on or who have privileges of the role to which the
session belongs, so it should not represent a security risk.

or with some parentheses to break it up a little:

Note that even when enabled, this information is only visible to superusers,
roles with privileges of the pg_read_all_stats role, and users who either own
the session being reported on (or who have privileges of the role to which the
session belongs), so it should not represent a security risk.

I'm not sure if it really improves on the latest committed change, so just a
suggestion.

Regards

Ian Barwick