Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum
Date: 2022-11-03 08:16:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2022年11月3日(木) 1:52 Imseih (AWS), Sami <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>:

> Attached is v13-0001--Show-progress-for-index-vacuums.patch which addresses
> the latest comments. The main changes are:
>
> 1/ Call the parallel_vacuum_progress_report inside the AMs rather than vacuum_delay_point.
>
> 2/ A Boolean when set to True in vacuumparallel.c will be used to determine if calling
> parallel_vacuum_progress_report is necessary.
>
> 3/ Removed global varilable from vacuumparallel.c
>
> 4/ Went back to calling parallel_vacuum_progress_report inside
> WaitForParallelWorkersToFinish to cover the case when a
> leader is waiting for parallel workers to finish.
>
> 5/ I did not see a need to only report progress after 1GB as it's a fairly cheap call to update
> progress.
>
> 6/ v1-0001-Function-to-return-currently-vacuumed-or-cleaned-ind.patch is a separate patch
> for exposing the index relid being vacuumed by a backend.

This entry was marked "Needs review" in the CommitFest app but cfbot
reports the patch [1] no longer applies.

[1] this patch:
v1-0001-Function-to-return-currently-vacuumed-or-cleaned-ind.patch

We've marked it as "Waiting on Author". As CommitFest 2022-11 is
currently underway, this would be an excellent time update the patch.

Once you think the patchset is ready for review again, you (or any
interested party) can move the patch entry forward by visiting

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/40/3617/

and changing the status to "Needs review".

Thanks

Ian Barwick