Re: PATCH: Batch/pipelining support for libpq

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Vaishnavi Prabakaran <vaishnaviprabakaran(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, "Prabakaran, Vaishnavi" <VaishnaviP(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Manuel Kniep <m(dot)kniep(at)web(dot)de>, "fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp" <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Iwata, Aya" <iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Batch/pipelining support for libpq
Date: 2017-04-03 23:57:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> On 2017-04-04 09:24:23 +1000, Vaishnavi Prabakaran wrote:
>> Just quickly, Is it not ok to consider only the code patch for this CF
>> without test patch?
>
> I'd say no, it's not acceptable. This is too much new code for it not
> to be tested.

Doesn't it depend actually? I would think that the final patch may not
include all the tests implemented if:
- The thread on which a patch has been developed had a set of tests
done and posted with it.
- Including them does not make sense if we have a way to run those
tests more efficiently. Sometimes a bunch of benchmarks or tests are
run on a patch bu for the final result keeping them around does not
make much sense.

In the case of this patch, it seems to me that we would have a far
better portable set of tests if we had a dedicated set of subcommands
available at psql level, particularly for Windows/MSVC. If that's a
requirement for this patch so let it be. I am not saying that tests
are not necessary. They are of course, but in this case having a bit
more infrastructure would be more be more helpful for users and the
tests themselves.

Note that I won't complain either if this set of C tests are included
at the end.
--
Michael