Re: s/xlog/wal/ in tools and function names?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Vladimir Rusinov <vrusinov(at)google(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: s/xlog/wal/ in tools and function names?
Date: 2016-12-02 02:02:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:21 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Vladimir Rusinov <vrusinov(at)google(dot)com> wrote:
>> I've found myself wondering "where is my xlog" after running
>> pg_switch_xlog() in 10.0.
>>
>> Renaming pg_xlog to pg_wal created inconsistency between tools, function
>> names and directory name on disk.
>>
>> Should we also:
>>
>> - rename pg_switch_xlog and friends to pg_switch_wal?
>> - rename pg_recievexlog to pg_revievewal (and others in bin/)?
>> - rename pg_xlogdump to pg_waldump?
>
> I think yes to all.

I was hesitant to propose that, but if there is a will do move
everything... Documentation would point to different pages if the
utilities are renamed, so that's not helpful when comparing features
across major releases... We may want to keep those files with their
historical names.

>> - if we do rename, should we keep aliases for functions and symlinks for
>> tools?
>
> I think no.

Better to do breakages in a single release rather than spreading them
across releases. While at it and because we are on a crazy trend, one
thing we could as well consider is removing pg_xlog_location_diff().
It has lost sense since pg_lsn has been introduced.

>> - anything else?
>
> There are some SQL-callable functions that should probably be renamed
> to match, too.

=# select proname from pg_proc where proname ~ 'xlog';
proname
---------------------------------
pg_current_xlog_location
pg_current_xlog_insert_location