Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date: 2016-02-04 20:06:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Michael Paquier
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 10:40 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Yes, please let's use the custom language, and let's not care of not
>>> more than 1 level of nesting so as it is possible to represent
>>> pg_stat_replication in a simple way for the user.
>>
>> "not" is used twice in this sentence in a way that renders me not able
>> to be sure that I'm not understanding it not properly.
>
> 4 times here. Score beaten.
>
> Sorry. Perhaps I am tired... I was just wondering if it would be fine
> to only support configurations up to one level of nested objects, like
> that:
> 2[node1, node2, node3]
> node1, 2[node2, node3], node3
> In short, we could restrict things so as we cannot define a group of
> nodes within an existing group.

No, actually, that's stupid. Having up to two nested levels makes more
sense, a quite common case for this feature being something like that:
2{node1,[node2,node3]}
In short, sync confirmation is waited from node1 and (node2 or node3).

Flattening groups of nodes with a new catalog will be necessary to
ease the view of this data to users:
- group name?
- array of members with nodes/groups
- group type: quorum or priority
- number of items to wait for in this group
--
Michael