Re: BUG #14866: The generated constraint in the typed table causes the server to crash

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #14866: The generated constraint in the typed table causes the server to crash
Date: 2017-11-01 14:05:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 10/23/17 18:21, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Attached is a patch to address the problem. There are a couple of
>> things to consider:
>> - transformColumnDefinition is missing the fact that a type may not be
>> set for a column defined, and as far as I can see the type name is
>> needed beforehand to allow the generation of all the serial commands.
>> This can happen when using CREATE TABLE OF, as you reported, for which
>> the data type can be found in the type defined. But this can happen as
>> well when declaring a child partition.
>
> I wonder whether we should even allow this. The SQL standard does not
> allow identity columns in typed tables, so there is support for that.

OK. At the same time being able to support that is not complicated
either, even if the patch I sent earlier is a bit grotty in the way it
does handle it. I can see arguments in favor of either solution.

> I'm not sure whether it makes sense in partitions. You are supposed to
> insert through the partition root, so making identity columns in
> partitions would just be confusing.

Robert, Amit, do you have opinions on the matter? It is possible to
have multiple level of partitions as well.

>> I am adding Peter E in CC, who is the author and committer of the
>> feature. I am adding an entry in the CF as well.
>
> There are two entries for this now. Maybe remove one?

Fixed.
--
Michael