Re: BUG #14866: The generated constraint in the typed table causes the server to crash

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, gomer94(at)yandex(dot)ru
Subject: Re: BUG #14866: The generated constraint in the typed table causes the server to crash
Date: 2017-11-01 13:36:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 10/23/17 18:21, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Attached is a patch to address the problem. There are a couple of
> things to consider:
> - transformColumnDefinition is missing the fact that a type may not be
> set for a column defined, and as far as I can see the type name is
> needed beforehand to allow the generation of all the serial commands.
> This can happen when using CREATE TABLE OF, as you reported, for which
> the data type can be found in the type defined. But this can happen as
> well when declaring a child partition.

I wonder whether we should even allow this. The SQL standard does not
allow identity columns in typed tables, so there is support for that.
I'm not sure whether it makes sense in partitions. You are supposed to
insert through the partition root, so making identity columns in
partitions would just be confusing.

> I am adding Peter E in CC, who is the author and committer of the
> feature. I am adding an entry in the CF as well.

There are two entries for this now. Maybe remove one?