Re: dblink: add polymorphic functions.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: dblink: add polymorphic functions.
Date: 2015-02-20 06:14:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks - completely new to this process, so I'm going to need
> walking-through of it. I promise to document what I learn and try to add
> that to the commitfest wiki. Where can I go for guidance about documentation
> format and regression tests?

Here are some guidelines about how to submit a patch:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch

You can have as well a look here to see how extensions like dblink are
structured:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/extend-pgxs.html
What you need to do in the case of your patch is to add necessary test
cases to in sql/dblink.sql for the new functions you have added and
then update the output in expected/. Be sure to not break any existing
things as well. After running the tests in your development
environment output results are available in results then pg_regress
generates a differential file in regressions.diffs.

For the documentation, updating dblink.sgml with the new function
prototypes would be sufficient. With perhaps an example(s) to show
that what you want to add is useful.
Regards,
--
Michael