Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date: 2014-03-28 12:57:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> [...]
> change allowed me to modify errorMissingColumn() to make more useful
> suggestions as to what might have been intended under other
> circumstances, like when someone fat-fingers a column name. psql tab
> completion is good, but not so good that this doesn't happen all the
> time. It's good practice to consistently name columns and tables such
> that it's possible to intuit the names of columns from the names of
> tables and so on, but it's still pretty common to forget if a column
> name from the table "orders" is "order_id", "orderid", or "ordersid",
> particularly if you're someone who regularly interacts with many
> databases. This problem is annoying in a low intensity kind of way.
>
> Consider the following sample sessions of mine, made with the
> dellstore2 sample database:
>
> [local]/postgres=# select * from orders o join orderlines ol on
> o.orderid = ol.orderids limit 1;
> ERROR: 42703: column ol.orderids does not exist
> LINE 1: ...* from orders o join orderlines ol on o.orderid = ol.orderid...
> ^
> HINT: Perhaps you meant to reference the column "ol"."orderid".
> LOCATION: errorMissingColumn, parse_relation.c:2989
> [local]/postgres=# select * from orders o join orderlines ol on
> o.orderid = ol.orderid limit 1;
> orderid | orderdate | customerid | netamount | tax | totalamount |
> orderlineid | orderid | prod_id | quantity | orderdate
> ---------+------------+------------+-----------+-------+-------------+-------------+---------+---------+----------+------------
> 1 | 2004-01-27 | 7888 | 313.24 | 25.84 | 339.08 |
> 1 | 1 | 9117 | 1 | 2004-01-27
> (1 row)
>
> [local]/postgres=# select ordersid from orders o join orderlines ol on
> o.orderid = ol.orderid limit 1;
> ERROR: 42703: column "ordersid" does not exist
> LINE 1: select ordersid from orders o join orderlines ol on o.orderi...
> ^
> HINT: Perhaps you meant to reference the column "o"."orderid".
> LOCATION: errorMissingColumn, parse_relation.c:2999
> [local]/postgres=# select ol.ordersid from orders o join orderlines ol
> on o.orderid = ol.orderid limit 1;
> ERROR: 42703: column ol.ordersid does not exist
> LINE 1: select ol.ordersid from orders o join orderlines ol on o.ord...
> ^
> HINT: Perhaps you meant to reference the column "ol"."orderid".
> LOCATION: errorMissingColumn, parse_relation.c:2989
>
> We try to give the most useful possible HINT here, charging extra for
> a non-matching alias, and going through the range table in order and
> preferring the first column observed to any subsequent column whose
> name is of the same distance as an earlier Var. The fuzzy string
> matching works well enough that it seems possible in practice to
> successfully have the parser make the right suggestion, even when the
> user's original guess was fairly far off. I've found it works best to
> charge half as much for a character deletion, so that's what is
What about the overhead that this processing creates if error
processing needs to scan a schema with let's say hundreds of tables?

> * It may be the case that dense logosyllabic or morphographic writing
> systems, for example Kanji might consistently present, say, Japanese
> users with a suggestion that just isn't very useful, to the point of
> being annoying. Perhaps some Japanese hackers can comment on the
> actual risks here.
As long as Hiragana-only words (basic alphabet for Japanese words),
and more particularly Katakana only-words (to write phonetically
foreign words) are compared (even Kanji-only things compared),
Levenstein could play its role pretty well. But once a comparison is
made with two words using different alphabet, well Levenstein is not
going to work well. A simple example is 'ramen' (Japanese noodles),
that you can find written sometimes in Hiragana, or even in Katakana,
and here Levenstein performs poorly:
=# select levenshtein('ラーメン', 'らあめん');
levenshtein
4