Re: pg_stop_backup(wait_for_archive := true) on standby server

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup(wait_for_archive := true) on standby server
Date: 2017-07-02 07:39:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 3:59 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> * Peter Eisentraut (peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
>> >
>> > I agree with you. I'd like to hear opinions from other hackers as well.
>>
>> It's preferable to make it work. If it's not easily possible, then we
>> should prohibit it.
>>
>> Comments from Stephen (original committer)?
>
> I agree that it'd be preferable to make it work, but I'm not sure I can
> commit to having it done in short order. I'm happy to work to prohibit
> it, but if someone has a few spare cycles to make it actually work,
> that'd be great.

Fixing the limitation instead of prohibiting it looks like a better
way of doing things to me. It would be hard to explain to users why
the implementation does not consider archive_mode = always. Blocking
it is just four lines of code, still that feels wrong.

> In short, I agree with Magnus and feel like I'm more-or-less in the same
> boat as he is (though slightly jealous as that's not actually physically
> the case, for I hear he has a rather nice boat...).

That means a PG-EU in Sweden at some point?!
--
Michael