Re: pg_stop_backup(wait_for_archive := true) on standby server

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup(wait_for_archive := true) on standby server
Date: 2017-06-30 18:59:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter, all,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> On 6/30/17 04:08, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> >> I'm not sure. I think this can be considered a bug in the implementation for
> >> 10, and as such is "open for fixing". However, it's not a very critical bug
> >> so I doubt it should be a release blocker, but if someone wants to work on a
> >> fix I think we should commit it.
> >
> > I agree with you. I'd like to hear opinions from other hackers as well.
>
> It's preferable to make it work. If it's not easily possible, then we
> should prohibit it.
>
> Comments from Stephen (original committer)?

I agree that it'd be preferable to make it work, but I'm not sure I can
commit to having it done in short order. I'm happy to work to prohibit
it, but if someone has a few spare cycles to make it actually work,
that'd be great.

In short, I agree with Magnus and feel like I'm more-or-less in the same
boat as he is (though slightly jealous as that's not actually physically
the case, for I hear he has a rather nice boat...).

Thanks!

Stephen