Re: genomic locus

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gene Selkov <selkovjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: genomic locus
Date: 2017-12-15 22:50:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 4:49 AM, Gene Selkov <selkovjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I noticed somebody took a good care of seg while I was away for the last 20
> years, and I am extremely grateful for that. I have been using it. In the
> meantime, things have changed and now I am almost clueless about how you
> deal with contributed modules and what steps I should take once I get it to
> work. Also, is it a good idea to clone and fix seg for this purpose, or is
> there a more appropriate template? Or maybe just building it from scratch
> will be a better idea?

Wah. You are the author of the seg module and your name is listed in a
set of commits from 2000:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/seg.html
seg is now shaped as what is called an extension (see
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/external-extensions.html),
which is made roughly a library and a set of SQL commands that the
server can load automatically after enabling them with the command
CREATE EXTENSION. If you wish to fix seg in some way, you could always
patch them. But I am not sure what you are trying to fix, so more
details would be welcome.

> I have seen a lot of bit rot in other extensions (never contributed) that I
> have not maintained since 2009 and I now I am unable to fix some of them, so
> I wonder how much of old knowledge is still applicable. In other words, is
> what I see in new code just a change of macros or the change of principles?

APIs in Postgres are usually stable. You should be able to update your
own extensions. If you want to discuss about a couple of things in
particular, don't hesitate!
--
Michael